Live updates

02 November, 2007

UPDATE: Lefse and Holiday Bazaars

I must admit, today was the first day I spent time in a kitchen.

It was quite a learning experience.

My goal today on All Hallow's Day was to spend some time doing something that reminded me of my home.

I found it while walking along your North 17th Street, towards the Narrows bridges.

To my surprise, a reader board announced a "Holiday Bazaar" on Nov. 3. I stopped in to inquire, and my dear online friends, I did forget my camera today.

Apparently many houses of worship sponsor holiday bazaars for people to sell their handiworks.

Seeing as I had no handiworks to sell, I thought I'd help make the traditional Norwegian Flat Bread known as lefse.

Oh, dear Hanne, you'd be so proud of me for rolling and cooking these wonderful treats! I was able to test some of my handiwork ... soft, not crisp ... with a bit of butter, sugar and cinnamon.

I wish you'd be able to try my completed product, but, I know you will be unable. I'll check into sending you some soon.

For those of you who are closer, you can go and see this holiday Bazaar at St. Mark's Lutheran Church, 6730 N 17th Street. The event beings at 9 a.m. on Saturday.

Feel free to list any other Bazaar's in the comments section, such a great way to fill some of those gift lists this holiday season.

Until Next Time,
Tacoma Gnome

Update: Unknown to me one of the helpful lefse makers took some photos yesterday:

If you're interested in going, you can just find these signs tomorrow morning:



Here I am rolling out the dough. It's really a challenge to roll it as thin as it needs to be.



And here I am enjoying the spoils of hard work. A little butter, sugar and viola! a delicious holiday treat.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I am attempting to organize a comprehensive list of Holiday Bazaars at Tacomamama.

You can find it here:

tacomamama.com/christmas/craft.html

Unknown said...

Peace Lutheran's holiday bazaar is happening Nov. 2 and 3 at 2106 South Cushman Ave in Tacoma.

PeaceLutheranTacoma.org