Live updates

04 October, 2007

Totem Pole

A silent little park is perched above Interstate 705 at the very end of A Street. It's a nice little oasis with spectacular views.

The park has two pieces of artwork. I was able to get a shot of me looking at one of them ... a totem pole carved by Alaskan Indians in 1903.

Interestingly, according to Metro Parks, removal of totem poles from a tribe is prohibited, so in the tradition of Tacomans being crafty and able to make solutions, the natives were brought to Tacoma to carve the pole here out of a 105 foot cedar tree.



It's a fine piece of work, though having it placed in the ground and lifting it must have been quite a task.

Uff da!

Until next time,
TacomaGnome

PS This afternoon I get my first tour of a local business. I look forward to sharing the photos and information with you.

No comments: