Live updates

30 October, 2007

The Port and a request for aid

I spent some time reflecting upon the Port of Tacoma.



The port will celebrate its 89th anniversary on November 5. A mere 6 days away. When it was built, commerce was based in timber. Shortly before the vote, which passed by a 5:1 margin, farmers had lost many crops as they rotted on the docks due to the lack of decent storage facilities. The initial bond was for 2.4 million dollars for planning and some initial construction.

Wow. And think that was in 1918. That would be equivalent of a 32 million dollar bond today.

The port, from what I understand, provides many jobs to the people of Pierce County. Gnomes have found that being paid well for good, hard work is good for a community.

Can anyone help me with this photo? I really enjoyed this view, but am having a hard time identifying it. I appreciate any ideas posted in the comments.



Thank you for your help.

Until Next Time,
TacomaGnome

Update/clarification: CS, thank you for the insight to what the structure is. In my early morning post, left out that I'm looking for the name of this location.

6 comments:

Trusty Husband said...

It's basically a rain cover to keep the grain dry as it is loaded onto the ships. Evidently wet grain doesn't keep well as it makes it's way around the world in a boat.

P.S. Your spot in the garden is waiting if you tire of your travels...

Jen said...

Do you mean where the picture was taken from? That's Thea's Park, I think, or maybe a block or two North of it.

NineInchNachos said...

Hey Gnome. Did you like Today's Tacomic? It was just for you bro!

Tacoma Gnome said...

jennifer b

Thank you.

Yes, I took this photo at Thea's Park, I'm interested in the name of the silo and dock.

I've tried to find a name online, but the resources are limited.

nineinchnachos,
I heard that there was a gnome-themed comic today. I'm certain some of the Tacoma community will enjoy it ... though many cannot view it from work.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gnome,

As the PR guy for the Port of Tacoma, I thought I would weigh in ... The photo shows the Port's Cargill Grain Terminal from Thea's Park on the Foss Waterway.

By volume, grain is the Port of Tacoma's largest export commodity. Last year, we exported 6.1 million tons of it. Cargill leases this facility from the Port.

This grain terminal is capable of holding three million bushels and can load 120,000 bushels of grain on a ship in an hour's time. Number 2 Yellow Corn, which is used for livestock feed, is the primary commodity handled at the terminal. Most of the corn comes from the upper Midwest via rail. The facility also handles "oilseeds" such as soybeans.

Last year, the Cargill built a rain shed to keep ship holds dry during our long rainy season. This allows grain to be loaded at any time – without it getting ruined by rain. The result? Much greater productivity during the winter months.

Before the roof, the grain in the rain stayed mainly on the train. (sorry)

Typically, there is almost always a grain ship here with several ships waiting their turn in the bay ... but this facility is currently shut down for annual maintenance.

Hope that helps! Visit your Port at www.portoftacoma.com.

Mike Wasem (mwasem@portoftacoma.com)

Tacoma Gnome said...

Mr. Wasam,

Thank you for the informative summary of the terminal.

Having relative in the north central area of you county, I am aware of their agriculture, and I will let them know I have seen how it is exported to other ports.

Thank you kindly, sir.