Live updates

19 October, 2007

Sweet Suite 133

The other day I had the opportunity to visit Suite 133 and interview one of its masterminds, Mr. Derek Young.

I post it here to inform you of their exciting project.

TG: Mr. Young, thank you for having me here today.

DY: I don’t really think we had a choice. Your entourage is quite an intimidating bunch... Ouch. Did you have to kick me? I mean, it’s great to have you in the space. I’ve wanted to meet you ever since that E! True Hollywood Story expose a few weeks back.

TG: You seem tall. Why is that?

DY: I grew rather suddenly after joining a high stepping marching band in the eighties. I’m still waiting for the scientific study that links perfectly timed steps and a propensity for brass with height. I may never know... I’m still trying to forget a few of those memories actually.

TG: Wow. What is Suite 133?

DY: Suite133 is a shared office / Coworking space for telecommuters, start-up entrepreneurs, creative professionals, and anyone craving the creative energy that comes from working alongside other people. We opened the space as a way to provide offices for our own companies – Exit133 & Gridwork Design specifically. However, the goal is to provide a space for other small independent businesspeople could arrive, find WiFi, a desk, conference rooms, and get some work done. We have no assigned desks so where one sits from day-to-day often changes. It’s a great building - as you can see - with natural light, wood floors, and a loft-style interior in a historic building. We’re located above Capers - near Fireman’s Park, Old City Hall, the Link Light Rail, and plenty of good bars and restaurants.

TG: I find it amazing that as you talk, I can see the links to other projects. Sorry, I digress ... Can woodland creatures rent as well?

DY: Absolutely. What’s important is personality.

TG: Oh, I see, are you actively seeking tenants for the space?

DY: Actively? No. Passively? Yes. We’re still waiting on a bit of furniture and some trim still needs to be hung. But once that’s done in the next few weeks, we’ll begin looking for more folks. At this point we have six companies represented in the space ranging from individual consultants to Exit133. It’s already becoming a great mix of people.

TG: May I see the boardroom?



DY: ...there are two conference rooms. Each seats eight people comfortably.



TG: Does this map of Tacoma have a story?

DY: I’m sure it has a lot more stories than I would know about.... It’s a seven foot square map of the City of Tacoma from 1905. The cool thing is that it shows tremendous details like the ownership of the old waterfront warehouses, individual streetcar tracks, log flumes, and detailed plat information. It came up for sale at a local auction house last year. I ended up in a bidding war with County Councilman Tim Farrell over it... After telling him I wouldn’t bid on it. You can see who won.

TG: Will you be utilizing the map to take over the city in the future?

DY: The future?

TG: Huh. Well, I might stop by with a small Gnome Army in the future to show Tacoma that we are a rather serious bunch at times.

DY: What are your handlers doing to my whiteboard?



TG: Oh, yeah, nevermind about that plan. Do you have any coffee?

DY: Of course. One of the subscribers to our space is the owner of Blackwater Cafe. She wouldn’t allow us to drink bad coffee.



TG: Wow. That is a tasty brew. Strong enough to make my beard curl a bit. Anything else you'd like to add?

DY: Do you not have rolling desk chairs in Norway?!? Be careful... What are you... @#**!% that hurt!

TG: I appreciate the time. I'm sorry about your toe ... though riding the chairs with wheels on the fine clear fir floors is a marvelously fun activity. I never thought that chairs would or could have wheels!

I certainly hope this idea of shared workspace takes off! I remember my cousin had a desk in the same office as Immanuel Nobel. Apparently, my cousin helped to collaborate on plywood, given his extensive knowledge of wood strength.

Until next time,
TacomaGnome

Update: Thank you to GritCity for taking some time to talk the other day.

2 comments:

NineInchNachos said...

I like it!

Tacoma Gnome said...

nineinchnachos,

I am glad to supply you with enjoyment today.