Live updates

31 January, 2008

History Mystery

Anonymous writes in the comments:

Seeing how you know a lot about Tacoma, what do you make of the picture Here at Found Magazine today?

It was Found in a book in Seattle, but the TAC written on the picture suggests it was taken in Tacoma in 1960. I Love your Blog.

I appreciate that anonymous enjoys reading this blog. He or she is a an occasional poster in the comments section.



Honestly, dear reader, I have no clue where this might be. One of the commentators at Found hypothesized that much of Tacoma, like Seattle, is on reclaimed bay areas.

You need to only see the lack of damage and claims from the 2001 Nisqually earthquake to know that Tacoma is on solid ground. It s a distinctive difference compared to the build-then-fill of Seattle's history.

But I open this one to our readers ... is this Tacoma? Could it be part of the port? Part of Point Defiance? Could it be the original attempt at a town center for our friends in University Place?

I'd love to hear what our experts have to say.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

it kind of looks like the area around Asarco, to me-- maybe a point along Ruston Way?

Anonymous said...

It is tough to tell from the angle, but that doesn't look like anywhere in Tacoma to me...

Anonymous said...

The Powers at Found later added a magnifier option to the picture, and upon closer inspection those letters, first taken to be TAC, look more like TUL. I really wanted it to be TAC, though.

Anonymous said...

it looks like sunny side, at the end of cirque and U.P possibly.