Live updates

02 January, 2008

Gnome under the cone

The e-mail came in rather quietly. It was addressed to me from a Susan Newsom.

I really didn't know what to think at first, but I soon realized her offer of me to come down to the floor of the "hot shop" meant another trip to the Museum of Glass.

But this time, I wouldn't just be outside on a beautiful day ... I would have the opportunity to assist in the blowing of some glass.

Wow.

I was able to get a ride down for the 9:30 a.m. appointment. After some rather intensive security-related questions ... and some ribbing about the shape of my hat and the cone of the Hot Shop (Tacoma cone), I was able to gain admission into the amphitheater.

For those of you about ready to visit Tacoma, the cone is an impressive 90-foot tall stainless steel structure. It has a diameter of 100 feet at its base and it narrows to a 15-foot opening at the top.

I was destined to the bottom.



Before venturing to the floor, it was requested that I put on safety glasses. I obliged Mrs. Newsom. Though the glasses were a bit large, but a resourceful artist modified them so I did not need to worry about them falling off.



With my protective glasses on, I was ready to help make some glass.




I was a bit concerned about the heat. But it should prove to be an interesting time.

Until Next Time,
TacomaGnome

No comments: