Live updates

03 January, 2008

Gaffer Gnome

After we sort of successfully created a glass buble, Mr. Stisser suggested that I might try being the Gaffer. So, he took the pipe back to the Glory Hole to get more molten glass.



I waited patiently, surrounded by flame and heat ... but fortunately, as you can see, there was a yellow water bottle nearby for me to maintain optimal hydration, as recommended by my doctor back home. Same way on long flights. My joints get all stiff and everything. At times, though, it is useless to to drink on an airplane as the line to the toilet seems to be endless.

This being an early morning session at the MOG, I was not worried at all about the lines. Hanne, I know you'd appreciate I'm following Ole's orders.



Here I am supervising the blowing of the glass. I was responsible to use the pliers and other tools to maintain the shape of the glass art. Those of you on Facebook will recognize this as my most recent profile picture. If you're familiar with the facebook, feel free to request a friendship ... I enjoy the tool for networking.



At one point the glass lost its firmness, but I hear it is pretty common. At least that's what Mr. Stisser said to assure me that is was perfectly normal for gravity to take over if I wasn't doing my job. We were able to get it back to a position, so we did not lose the shape we were forming.

I took him at his word.

It's a challenging art, I tell you! The heat is tough for this cold-weather tempered lad, and the amount of air that goes into creating such a simple piece is, well, HARD.

But it's well worth the effort.

Until Next Time,
TacomaGnome

No comments: