Live updates

14 September, 2007

Books fit for a King with an exclusive interview!

On the advice of 'Captain Smartypants' and 'Elle' (they seem to have taken much interest in my adventures, as have many of you, thank you) I ventured up to King's Books today.

I'm very fond of reading and studying, I always tell people that education helps to level the field. As well as plant the field and harvest it.


The fine young man behind the counter goes by the name 'sweet pea'.

He was nice enough to sit down with me for a chat:

TG: My, you're tall. How did that happen?


sp:
My mother accidentally consumed an entire container of Miracle Gro when I was still in the womb. She thought it was Crystal Light Limeade. I’m actually quite sensitive about the topic. So, I’d rather we didn’t discuss it further.

TG: sweet pea, like the vegetable?

sp:
That’s a common misconception. I was actually named after a star in the Evil Eye Galaxy, M64.

TG: Why sweet pea? Has there been problems with you being 'sweet pea'?

sp:
Problems? You mean like people not giving me their credit card information over the phone because of my name? Or being written out of articles in the paper because of my name? Or people’s parents not addressing me because of my name? Or people always pausing after me giving my name waiting for the punchline? No, that’s never happened before. Any of it.

TG: What do you like about King's Books?

sp:
The majority of our customers are rad. I like being able to bring topics to the masses, like letterpress printing and Banned Books Week. I like helping to create a culture of word nerds and book sluts. I love the culture of independent bookstores and, well, books in general.

TG: How long have you known John and Pat?
sp:
I worked at Pat and Lisa’s bookstore in Madison for two years before moving with the bookstore to Tacoma. I’ve known his daughter Abegale since a month before she was born. John I met slightly before I moved to Tacoma. Although, I used to give him grief over the phone weekly.

TG: What about the cats?

sp:
Oh, the cats. Both of them have interesting histories. Harriet was found in a seemingly abandoned apartment. The walls were covered with scrawled poetry and her paws were stained completely with ink. No one knows exactly what the story is. But, we convinced her to join us. I saw Miko hooking one afternoon on Tacoma Ave. I picked him up, um, for purely humanitarian purposes. He’s had a rocky road at the bookstore. But, the various VDs seem to be clearing up. So, it’s all good.

TG: Do you know that Gnome book?

sp:
That one? About yeah big? With the picture on the cover? I actually wrote that! I’m one of the primary gnomologists in the country. It’s hard to get it recognized as a serious profession, let me tell you.

TG: Anything else?

sp:
Harch ni chizzle fuch thrend!

TG: Thank you!


2 comments:

Cole Cosgrove said...

I'm sorry that sweet pea's name has been removed from stories in some newspapers, but he must not be talking about The News Tribune: He was in two stories just last month, lower-case letters and all!

http://www.thenewstribune.com/soundlife/story/163218.html

http://www.thenewstribune.com/soundlife/story/146848.html

Cole Cosgrove said...

But I'm relatively new here, so maybe things used to be different.

I'm happy he's quotable now!